Small Business Savvy
The Business Academy @IUN provides training in business and management concepts, as well as access to helpful resources, geared specifically to entrepreneurs and small business owners. The information you find here is ideal for people interested in launching or expanding their own business.
We are happy to be hosting the Start UP Business Success Program in collaboration with the City of Gary. Upon completion of the program, which provides extensive business creation, operation, and management information and support to Gary entrepreneurs, we host a vendor show. The next vendor show will be held on March 22, 2024 from 6 to 8 pm in the IU Northwest Library Conference Center and is open to the public.
In addition, we host speakers monthly who discuss topics of interest to small business owners and entrepreneurs. We host business professionals who are working with business owners every day to share their expertise, then we spend time networking and connecting. The 2024 Speaker Series schedule is below.
2024 Business Speakers Series
Time: All sessions are 9 am to noon.
Location: Bergland Auditorium, located in the Savannah Center adjacent to the main lot located at 33rd and Broadway.
- February 2, 2024
- Lisa Bennett, Fearless Coaching and Consulting, LLC
- SOP’s: What they are and why you need them
- There are countless issues to consider when opening a business. Many business owners focus on what is needed to open the doors and fail to consider documenting how the business will operate. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are crucial for ensuring consistency and efficiency in business operations, especially for startups where processes are just being established. Join Lisa Bennett, an authority on business management, for a dynamic discussion on the impact of SOPs in your business.
- March 8, 2024
- Anna Burke, Accounting Made Simple
Small Business Bookkeeping Basics for Start-ups
- IRS Audit… Not something any business owner wants to hear. Setting up your books correctly is crucial to avoiding complications and confusion and minimizing the risk of an audit. In addition, proper bookkeeping procedures provides powerful information for managing your business. Join Anna Burke CPA as she outlines what you need to set up your books properly. This is a 2.5 hour presentation. This presentation is offered in collaboration with ISBDC.
- Anna Burke, Accounting Made Simple
- April 12, 2024
- Francine Birgans, EthInLead ® LLC
- Guiding with Integrity: Navigating the Landscape of Leadership and Ethics
- In the dynamic realm of leadership, fostering a culture of ethics is paramount for sustained success and positive organizational impact. Join Francine as she delves into the intricate intersection of leadership and ethics, exploring how leaders can navigate challenges while upholding a strong moral compass. We'll discuss the fundamental principles that underpin ethical leadership, the importance of transparency, accountability, and the role of empathy in decision-making. Drawing on real-world examples and case studies, participants will gain valuable insights into building trust, promoting a sense of integrity within their teams, and ultimately creating a work environment that thrives on ethical leadership. Join us on this journey to discover actionable strategies that empower leaders to make principled decisions and inspire those they lead.
- May 24, 2024
- Andrew Huff, HuffMedia LLC
- How to grow any business with no marketing experience
- Most businesses fail due to financial hurdles, poor business preparation, and marketing mishaps. Join Andrew Huff, an expert social media marketer, as he prepares you to overcome the marketing hurdle by talking about how to grow any business with no marketing experience. Regardless of industry, regardless of product, regardless of service, this is an empowering presentation that will give you the courage to handle your business’ marketing. Bring pen and paper, a recorder, and if nothing else, yourself for an awe-inspiring presentation that will prepare you to take on the world of marketing, and more importantly, business.
We also recommend you follow our Facebook page (Northwest Indiana Business Community) for announcements.
This program is sponsored by Innovate Indiana.
Contact Jana Szostek, Director, at (219) 980-6910 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.