FLAGS Early Alert Initiative (Fostering Learning, Achievement, and Graduation)
Student Engagement Roster (SER)
What is the Student Engagement Roster?
The Student Engagement Roster (SER) is a tool that allows instructors to provide feedback throughout the semester about academic performance (including class attendance, participation, performance on homework and exams, and other factors). This feedback is available to students, academic advisors, faculty and administrative personnel.
The student engagement roster will also be the mechanism for reporting attendance for the Registrar/Financial Aid Compliance enrollment audit (during week 2).
How does a student know if they have feedback from an instructor?
- Sign in to iu.edu
- Type “student engagement roster” into the search bar and select the “Student Engagement Roster (student)” task. You may want to favorite this task.
For more information on both the SPR and the SER see flags.iu.edu
Course Syllabus/Canvas Announcement
Faculty teaching undergraduate classes are encouraged to provide an explanation on the class syllabus and/or via an Oncourse/Canvas announcement. A sample notice is provided here:
This semester I will be using IU’s FLAG Early Alert System to provide real-time feedback on your performance in this course. Periodically throughout the semester I will be entering data on factors such as your class attendance, participation, and success with coursework, among other things. This information will provide feedback on how you are faring in the course and offer you suggestions on how you might be able to improve your performance.
You will be able to access this information in One.IU.edu by typing in “Student Engagement Roster (student)” in the search box and accessing the appropriate application.
(SER) Student Engagement Roster
- Navigate to One.IU (one.iu.edu).
- In the search field, type “Student Engagement Roster”.
- Click on the Student Engagement Roster (Faculty) tile.
- Classes for current and future terms are displayed if, 1) the schedule of classes has been released for the semester, 2) you are setup as an instructor for the class, and 3) there is at least one student on the roster for the class.
Early Alert Information to Advisors & Students
- Students will be able to view faculty assessments through One.IU.edu by typing in Grades in the search box and accessing the appropriate application.
- The assessments are point-in-time semester assessments and not part of the students’ permanent academic record.
Questions about using or viewing the student performance rosters should be directed to the Student Advising Center, 980-6890.