Who May Borrow Materials?
- Indiana University Students
- Indiana University Staff
- Indiana University Faculty
- Indiana Residents with valid Indiana license or ID
- Ivy Tech students with valid Ivy Tech ID and Indiana or Illinois license or ID
Getting an IU Library Card
- Students, Staff, and Faculty should use their Crimson card. The barcode on the card also serves as your library card.
- If you do not yet have a Crimson card, refer to the Getting Your CrimsonCard page for steps to obtain one.
- Indiana residents and Ivy Tech students may get a library card at the Circulation Desk at any time the library is open. To get a card you will need to show either:
- Current Indiana Driver's License
- Current Indiana State Identification
- Ivy Tech ID and Indiana or Illinois Driver's License or State Identification
Indiana University Northwest students, faculty and staff have computer and printing access from various locations throughout campus.
COVID Note: Services to Indiana Residents and Ivy Tech students are limited due to the COVID-19 situation. Computers, printing, copying and scanning are currently unavailable to these patrons until further notice. The information below is left intact to show our policies under normal operations.
Indiana Residents and Ivy Tech students can use computers along the wall on the first floor. Use of these computers requires an individual username and password from the Circulation desk in the library.
Indiana Residents will need to provide a current Indiana driver's license or state ID. Ivy Tech students will need to provide a current Ivy Tech ID and current Indiana or Illinois driver's license or state ID.
Printing for Indiana Residents and Ivy Tech students requires a print card obtained at Circulation, and personal funds added to the card - a minimum of $1. Cost of printing is set for regional campuses by UITS policy.
- Indiana Residents and Ivy Tech students -- 30 days
- Undergraduate students -- 45 days
- Graduate Students / Faculty / Staff -- 120 Days
Audiovisual materials such as CDs and DVDs circulate for 2 weeks regardless of patron status.
As long as there is not a recall or a hold placed on an item, renewals are possible.You may renew materials in the following ways:
- By using the My Account button on the IUCAT catalog
- In person at the Circulation Department of any IU library
- By telephone (219) 980-6585
Returning MaterialsItems may be returned at any IU library.
- Overdue fines are $0.25 (Twenty-five cents) per day per book with a maximum of up to 25 dollars per item.
- There is no "grace period". The book is due on the date specified at checkout.
- There is a 10 day return period for recalled materials. If the item is not returned, there is a flat $25.00 recall fine.
- Overdue fine ($25 maximum)
- Fines accumulate $0.25 per day up to a maximum of $25.00 per day.
- $15.00 lost item charge
- $10.50 processing fee
- $55.00 replacement fee (or higher for expensive titles)
Fines and other fees may be paid at the Circulation Desk. Cash, money orders, cashier's checks or personal checks (payable to: Indiana University Northwest) are accepted, and a receipt will be provided.
Fines and fees may also be paid by mail to:
Attn: Debbie Annette Curtis, Head of Circulation and Reserves
Indiana University Anderson Library
3400 Broadway, Gary, IN 46408
The library provides special services to our patrons in addition to regular services such as Reserves and checking out library materials. Through Circulation, these services include:
- Study Rooms
- VGA and HDMI cords
Headphones must be checked out with a library card. If not returned or damaged, there will be a $5.00 fine.
Calculators are rented in a two-step process that involves the Bursar (also known as the Office of Student Accounts). Students must pay the rental fee at the Bursar, then provide the receipt at the library's Public Service Desk to have a calculator checked out.
A valid IU ID card must be presented in order to charge our materials in any of the Indiana University Libraries.
- The patron is responsible for all materials charged to his/her card.
- The patron is responsible for notifying the campus and library immediately if the Crimson card is lost or stolen.
- The patron is responsible for notifying the library immediately if there are any changes in name, address, or phone number.
- In addition for community library patrons, the patron is responsible for notifying the library immediately if the IU Northwest Library card is lost or stolen. There is a $5.00 charge for replacing borrower’s cards.
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy. Failing to receive an overdue notice does not absolve a borrower from responsibility should they receive a bill or fine
- When materials are not returned within 30 (thirty) days of the due date, a bill for the replacement cost, plus additional fees (see above), are sent to the Library patron.
- The patron remains liable for any overdue fines, even if all overdue materials are subsequently returned.
- Unbound periodicals, microfilm, and microfiche are issued from the Public Service Desk. Patrons must fill out a charge slip before taking materials away from the desk.
- Patrons are limited to two periodicals at a time.
- Patrons must show an ID before they may take materials from the Public Service Desk.
- Bound periodicals are located on the second floor of the library.
- Periodicals and microforms are to be used only in the library.
- Faculty may check out bound volumes or unbound issues for one week. The current issues of periodicals do not circulate. We strongly encourage faculty to use the periodicals in the library rather than checking them out. Your cooperation helps us make sure that materials are available to all our patrons.
- Microfilm and microfiche materials do not circulate.