- Fulbright Distinguished Chair of Public International Law, Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law & Faculty of Law, Lund University, Sweden, 2019-2020.
- Professor, Indiana University Graduate School, 2015-present.
- Professor of Ethics & Human Rights, IU Northwest, 2015-present.
- Adjunct Professor, Women’s & Gender Studies Program, IU Northwest, 2017-present.
- Associate Professor, IU Northwest, 2009-2015.
- Assistant Professor, IU Northwest, 2003-2009.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, IU Northwest, 2002-2003.
- Visiting Lecturer, The Human Rights Program & Department of Philosophy; Faculty Advisor for M.A. students, Center for International Relations; Instructor, the Graham School of General Studies, the University of Chicago, IL, 2000-2003.
- Carlsberg Researcher, Lucy Cavendish College, the University of Cambridge, England, U.K., 1993-1995.
- Carlsberg Research Fellow, Lucy Cavendish College, the University of Cambridge, England, U.K., 1990-1991.
- Carlsberg Scholar, Department of Philosophy, the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1989-1990.
- PostDoc, the Franke Institute for the Humanities & Department of Philosophy, University of Chicago, IL, 1998-2002.
- Ph.D., University of Cambridge, England, U.K. 1997.
- Magisterkonferens (research degree), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1989.
Awards & Honors (selective)
- College of Arts & Sciences Dean’s Award for Distinction in Service, Indiana University Northwest, 2021.
- RSA Fellow (Royal Society for Arts, Manufacturers and Commerce), 2021 (by nomination from the U.K.).
- The Board of Trustees’ Teaching Award, IU Northwest, 2021, 2015, 2008.
- Bi-national Fulbright Commissions and the Institute of International Education (IIE), Fulbright Award (80% research (“A Dual-Aspect Theory of Life, Freedom and Security: Ethics-Integration, Human Rights and Rule of Law”) and 20% teaching (“Human Rights, Values and Legal Trends: The Role of Ethics in Public International Law”), 2019-2020.
- New Frontiers in the Arts & Humanities, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2016-2017.
- Listed among the “distinguished scholars” for Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Listed as “an eminent international law scholar” by Oxford University Press editors, 2012.
- EuropeAid Office of the European Commission (under the auspices of International Institute of Higher Studies in Criminal Sciences (ISISC)), 2010.
- Summer Faculty Fellowship in Research, IU Northwest, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004.
- College of Arts & Sciences Dean’s Award for Distinction in Research and Creativity, Indiana University Northwest, 2007.
- Selected as “Outstanding Instructor” for National Teacher Recognition Day, Center for Innovation & Scholarship in Teaching and Learning (CISTL), Indiana University Northwest, 2006.
- Center for Regional Excellence Fellowship, Indiana University Northwest, 2006.
- Listed (with name) among “our friends at the University of Chicago who inspired, founded and nurtured the [Scholars at Risk] Network,” October 27, 2003.
- The Niels Bohr Award, the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters (shared with Bronik Matwijkiw), 2000.
- His Royal Highness Prince Joachim and Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra’s Foundation, Denmark 1998.
- The Anglo-Danish Society (Patrons: HM the Queen of Great Britain and HM the Queen of Denmark), London, England, 1992.
Representation in Prestigious Collections
International Criminal Court (ICC), the Legal Tools, administered (for the ICC) by the Centre of International Law Research and Policy.
The Peace Palace: Home of the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the International Court of Justice, The Hague Academy of International Law and the Peace Palace Library, The Hague, Legal Capitol of the world and the International City of Peace and Justice.
Legal and Reference Library of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR).
Editorial and Advisory Boards
- The Editorial and International Advisory Board, International Studies Journal (ISJ), 2017-present.
- The Editorial Board, Global Community Yearbook of International Law and Jurisprudence (Global Community YILJ), Oxford University Press, 2015-present.
- The Editorial Board, International Criminal Law Review (Int’l Crim. L. Rev.), Brill/Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2011-present.